Your experience trading in used equip to B&H/Adorama

Started Jan 30, 2017 | Discussions thread
Malangbaba Regular Member • Posts: 215
Re: Your experience trading in used equip to B&H/Adorama

BigRedNole5 wrote:

You should be up front with the scheme. Yes, it is a scheme because you hold the gear hostage and low-ball the value. You should post on your trade-in/sell details that you only offer about 60% of the going rate for camera gear. I went through this and had to wait over a month to get my gear back and sell it. When I sent my gear in, I was quoted $900. At that is where the scheme kicks in. You receive it, say it is valued at the "$900 quote" but only pay 70% of that because that is how it is. When you refuse to take the massive cut, it take weeks to get it shipped back. In my case, I got it back 5-6 weeks after sending it in. Put it on the sale forums here, FM, and FleaBay. I sold in in 48 hours for $950.

My advice is avoid these places because they are not up front. They should state when they give you the "quote", that they take at least 30% off that number when you send it in.

This is a tough business for the retailers. They pay up front and then hope to sell it at reasonable profit. Sometimes it takes a long time to sell the item with some kind of warranty. At times, this warranty eats up any expected profit.

I find it more rewarding to spare myself the hassle and just give away the equipment I don't need anymore to someone in the family or to a friend as a present.

Malangbaba's gear list:Malangbaba's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon D600 Nikon D750 Nikon D5500 Nikon D7200 +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
osv
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow