Will 35mm film be the exact same quality as medium format film cropped to 35mm dimensions?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
SterlingBjorndahl Senior Member • Posts: 2,191
My ancient experience with Plux-X

Overrank wrote:

neilt3 wrote: ...

What films are they that use two different emulsions but the manufacturer calls it the same name in several formats ?

I believe this was true for tri-x at least

I tested this with Plus-X back in the 1970s. Under magnification, the grain structure of 120-sized Plus-X was coarser than 135. The result was that printing a heavily cropped 11x14 from 120 vs 135 resulted in pretty much the same amount of detail before getting lost in the grain. It was quite a disappointment because I had hoped to be able to crop the 120 like a mad fool. I recall digging into the Kodak technical documentation and concluding that the two films were both called "Plus-X" in name and ASA only; the backing and emulsion were different. Densitometry was very close, though, iirc.

Regards,
Sterling
--
Lens Grit

SterlingBjorndahl's gear list:SterlingBjorndahl's gear list
Olympus Air Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Leica D Vario-Elmar 14-150mm F3.5-5.6 Asph Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S +20 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow