Will 35mm film be the exact same quality as medium format film cropped to 35mm dimensions?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
neilt3
neilt3 Senior Member • Posts: 1,724
Re: Will 35mm film be the exact same quality as medium format film cropped to 35mm dimensions?

Overrank wrote:

biggles266 wrote:

This is probably a silly question, and I assume the answer is yes, but I just want to check, is 35mm film the exact same quality as a larger medium format cropped to 24x36mm? If it's the same brand and ISO of film, then their grain, sharpness and everything is exactly the same? Or is medium format film on the 120 rolls actually different in some fundamental way to 35mm, and that will be visible after it's developed, scanned and looked at closely?

My understanding is that the film base for 35mm and 120 is often different and that there may be differences in emulsion between 120 and 135 versions of the same film. Whether this is visible I’ve no idea.

The film base is different especially with large format , but that doesn't make any difference to what chemicals are applied to it or the final image .

What films are they that use two different emulsions but the manufacturer calls it the same name in several formats ?

neilt3's gear list:neilt3's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7 Minolta DiMAGE 7Hi Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z5 Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Konica Minolta DiMAGE A200 +41 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow