Opinions about a beginner's photo

Started 2 months ago | Photos thread
pocoloco Senior Member • Posts: 2,869
Re: Opinions about a beginner's photo

EmmaNems wrote:

thinkinginimages wrote:

Whitris wrote:

Hi everybody

Sorry if my english is not very good: I'm not a native speaker. I'm new in the forum and a beginner as far as photography is concerned. I'd like to ask for some opinions about this photo I've taken. I'm really getting into macro photography (I know this isn't technically a macro) and nature photography in general.

The picture has been taken with my Nikon d3200 and the 18-55 kit lens (1/200s, f/8.0, ISO 100). I've been playing around on Rawtherapee, but I'm still not good at post-processing. What advices can you give to improve this photo and me as a photographer?

Thank you very much!

I hope you don't mind that I tinkered with your image. This is more to my taste. I took the overall exposure down .5 and went a +5 yellow on the white balance. Then I faded/darkened the lower left by -1.5. I doubled/+100 the orange saturation and +10 on Clarity. This was all done in Lightroom. I'm not sure about the color of the ladybug.

But that's not really the point. It's a very nice image. Sometimes you just have to play...

It had to happen. Someone was going to change it to a bulls-eye composition. It always happens. It's so sad.

Not by definition a bad compositional choice... in this case - imho - I feel it doesn't work.

pocoloco's gear list:pocoloco's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow