Question (serious) or why do I want/ need an R or RP body?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
KENTGA Veteran Member • Posts: 6,559
Question (serious) or why do I want/ need an R or RP body?

In the past several days I looked at postings about the "R" bodies.

Before I post anything below I was thinking about a smaller, lighter body to add to what I have.

I am 78 and have several "heavy" Canon bodies and lenses and in the past have bought an SL-2 with 18-135 lens and also Sony RX100 VI for lightweight options. After looking at the comments about the R mirrorless bodies and wanting another lightweight option, I'm not sure an "R" is what I need because responders don't seem to like the 24-105 "R" lens from a performance standpoint and if I wanted to use an EF lens (which is suggested for better optics) on and R body, I really wouldn't save that much weight.

I'm mostly a landscape photographer and seldom photo people. I'm not a pixel peeper and would appreciate your comments. Frankly, I'm not sure an "R" body with a "good" lens would save me that much weight.

Also, if an "R" body detects an EF-S type lens an automatically crops to APS size, I don't see how I'm gaining anything.

Bottom line (repeated) is I'm thinking about a lightweight option.

Appreciate any comments.

Thanks, Kent

KENTGA's gear list:KENTGA's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +15 more
Sony RX100 VI
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow