Which telephoto lens for taking birds?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
SMOKENMIRRORS Forum Member • Posts: 50
Re: Which telephoto lens for taking birds?

Jim Ehrmin wrote:

I'm using a Canon 80D with a Canon 100-400 II lens for birding. I'm getting excellent results with the crop sensor.

I have one of the custom modes set to focus on one focus point. If I can get the one point on the bird's body, I usually get the shot. The other custom mode is set to nine focus points and Al servo. The focus is very fast. I don't feel a need for more "reach". Works great on tiny birds in trees or on drippers and large birds.

We moved to Corpus Christi, Texas a year and a half ago from Seattle. I've shot landscapes for decades but not much in the way of landscapes here. CC is a birding migration route and amazing birds and many good viewing platforms. I love this lens. It is tack sharp and the IS works great. I never use a tripod.

Jim Ehrmin

Jim you can shoot crabs at the beach, boats on the bay or those massive windmills lol. Yea south Tx is pretty flat compared to where you come from. I'm in McAllen three hours south of you. Welcome

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
YWG
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow