WTH are Lumix doing?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ruairi
Ruairi Contributing Member • Posts: 846
WTH are Lumix doing?

So, after getting minor RSI from editing images, then writing crap on the internet, I watched a few reviews on the Sony X-V1, and it made me think how slow Lumix have been recently.

They have been making the absolute best run-and-gun video cameras consistently since the GH1 from 2009.

They made the best compact, carefree little ILC travel cameras (GM5, GX80, GM1, GX800, GF8 they're all amazing).

They have come from absolutely nowhere as a lens manufacturer, to be punting out everything from ingeniously compact, sharp, fast-focussing, stabilised, affordable lenses, to some serious professional optics in very little time.

And their menu system is a brilliant showcase of UX/UI design that is about as easy to use for a complete novice as you could wish for.

So where is their GX800-sized, flippy screen equipped, IBIS enabled, 4k 60fps, 240fps FHD, latest-gen DfD laden, mic jack toting, hot-shoe sporting, closest-object focus prioritising, WiFi Bluetooth one-stop social media content creation machine?

They've got all the pieces, and have been sitting on them for years, but haven't combined them into the market dominating little beast that they could have.  And that X-V1 is begging for a kicking from something that can take a wider lens (30mm at the widest with video crop and stabilisation factored in).

Are they worried about overheating and battery life?  Well Sony have had this problem for years, and are still outselling Lumix despite this.

I think they are sitting on a goldmine.

-- hide signature --
 Ruairi's gear list:Ruairi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus E-M1 III Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +14 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow