Is a 128GB memory card too risky for the 6DII?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ADW02 Regular Member • Posts: 343
Is a 128GB memory card too risky for the 6DII?

I wonder if it's too risky, or perhaps too stupid, for me to consider buying a 128GB memory card for my 6DII, even though I can buy the Sandisk Xtreme version from WD for $38 right now.

If I've done my math right, I think a 128 card can hold some 3,600 RAW files from the 6DII. Even for a week-long workshop I would tend to think that would really be overkill, especially since I have two 64GB cards already. Still, for $38 it might be kind of nice to have backup, just in case one of the cards becomes somehow corrupted.

Having a higher ceiling could also be good in another way. On a road trip I would take my laptop and an external 4TB drive, to download a days' shooting. I could still keep the images on the card, and use a different card the next day, indirectly having a backup system. I should be able to do all that for a total investment of $38. That sounds good to me, but there's something I'm probably not considering. It's really not that big of a deal, but feel free to comment if you wish.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow