Panasonic fz300 vs Sony hx99 - small sensor shootout

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
eya1 Regular Member • Posts: 277
Panasonic fz300 vs Sony hx99 - small sensor shootout

I'm currently looking at these two small sensor superzooms for lockdown shooting and exploring video. The Sony is currently on special and works out cheaper than the FZ300. While price is a factor, I'd like to know more about the overall IQ and performance of the two cameras and I am wondering if anyone can give me good advice?

I know that the Sony is 2018 tech and logically should have a better sensor than the FZ300. Can anyone tell me if, in the real world, there is a noticeable difference between the two sensors?

Does the Sony offer better resolution with its 18mp sensor and does it handle exposure and colour better than Panasonic's 12 mp sensor?

Also, any ideas which camera has the better preamp or is it a wash at this price point?

I'm drawn by the Panasonic because of the constant f/2.8 zoom, mic port, higher resolution EVF and the fully functional LCD touchscreen; but put off by the fact that it does not offer the XAVC S format, unlike the Sony.

However, the Sony does tempt because of its size, Sony colour (not enamored with Panasonic colour) and superior video format. It would be good to see if the newer tech does indeed provide better results overall.

I'd really appreciate your input.

Thanks all

eya1's gear list:eya1's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +1 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow