D800 fine focus adjust 🤔

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
j_photo Veteran Member • Posts: 4,774
Re: D800 fine focus adjust 🤔

Giovanni_1968 wrote:

By the way, looks like, off a quick attempt, LiveView does spot on focus whilst with mirror flipped down it is off by a slight amount

Coming back to this thread after a few days away. In my opinion, your belief that focus is off is probably right. You know your camera and shooting style, and see a difference between before and after. However, your testing methods are not great and that is creating a lot of doubt among other posters in this thread. Attention has turned away from your problem, toward testing techniques.  (And even if you performed a perfect test, you would still get push back from some posters here.)

You can continue to fiddle with fine tuning, but your best hope may be to send the camera in for service again. Including sample images illustrating the problem might be helpful. Talking to someone at the repair center to make sure they have the full story might help as well.

Though I hate to say it, the other option is a new camera. I shot happily with a D800 for many years but it does have a reputation for sometimes inconsistent focus. Good luck.

j_photo's gear list:j_photo's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow