New Olympus OMD EM5 Mark II in 2020?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Curtiscky Junior Member • Posts: 28
New Olympus OMD EM5 Mark II in 2020?

Hi there. I have been a GX85 user for quite some time. Unfortunately the rear dial broke down and it alloys me quite a lot. Whatever settings (exposure compensation, shutter speed) that can controlled with the rear dial will only increase it. I have to switch the display to the Canon-like info page to be able to access everything... but only through the touch screen, which greatly affects the way I shoot. The service centre is a 2-hour flight from my place, and due to the Covid lockdown in my country, I might have to wait till next year to get it fixed.

Recently I found out that a local store is selling new EM5 Mark II units for $465. Very tempting... and considering that I have a 17mm f1.8, 25mm f1.4 and a couple of Panasonic lenses, I am having a hard time deciding between getting a used GX9 for the same price, new EM5 Mark II or something else to replace the GX85 for now.

Looks like the rear dial of Panasonic rangefinder style cameras are prone to malfunctions. I have read in other threads that the GX7 and GX85 have similar problems. The GX9 has the similar rear dial design, and I am worried that It will break down easily. I have always liked Panasonic’s menu system and how the info is displayed when shooting.

I am willing to try an Olympus body. To all EM5 II users out there, would you still recommend the EM5 II in 2020? Should I get this, it would be my go to camera for at least the next 3-5 years. Would be great to get a few opinions.

Curtiscky's gear list:Curtiscky's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +1 more
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow