Sky replacements and reflections in water

Started Jun 2, 2020 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sirhawkeye64 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,291
Sky replacements and reflections in water

So I have an image that I took from Horseshoe bend which was on a day that was less than ideal (cloudy with a bit of snow). Anyway, I've been playing around in Luminar and found that there is a Sky replacement tool, of which I normally wouldn't replace skies, but partially as a learning experience/exercise, I wanted to try to save the image by swapping in a different sky of some sort and adjusting the image to match.

My question is regarding the water. What is my best route (either with Luminar or Photoshop as I have both) to try to get a reflection of the sky into the water so it doesn't look "faked" I guess (ie. nice blue sky but flat/gray water like what is shown?

I've included two pictures--neither of which are really edited (the only change I mad to the second one was simply add a sky--didn't do any other editing/sharpening, etc, so they are pretty much out of the camera with that one exception for the second one.

Original:

Sky replaced (no other editing):

Thoughts?

(BTW if the images are a bit blurry in the foreground or background, these came from a set that was meant for a focus stack, so I just randomly picked an image for this example so if there is sharpness/focus issues, that's why--but that aspect isn't critical to my question.)

sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Nikon Z5 Nikon Z7 II Nikon Z8 Nikon Zf Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 +6 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow