I'd like Fuji to start charging for firmware updates

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
HatWearingFool
HatWearingFool Senior Member • Posts: 2,508
I'd like Fuji to start charging for firmware updates

Note this does not apply firmware fixes of bugs.

This isn't an entirely new idea because Panasonic has already charge for firmware updates to unlock advanced video features.

But I'd like to see Fujifilm (really all camera manufacturers) start charging for firmware feature updates for a couple of reasons:

1) This would incentivize them to upgrade old models. Fuji has stated they aren't sure how many X-t4 features will trickle back to the x-t3 because it costs money to write the update and they'd lose potential sales. If they charged for the update they wouldn't have to worry about lost sales and could cover development costs.

2) If firmware updates of old cameras became a money maker Fuji would be incentivized to hire more developers and provide more updates.

3) They'd be less likely to release new hardware just to keep money coming in when a software update to an existing model could keep them competitive and bring in money.

4) Fuji could sell a "base" firmware model and let user decide if they wanted to pay for features through firmware updates rather than release 2 slightly differentiated products.

The big concern people would have is that Fuji would hold back features to sell them in the future. But they are already doing that to differentiate models and to sell new ones.

-- hide signature --
 HatWearingFool's gear list:HatWearingFool's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM1 Fujifilm X-T20 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
Fujifilm X-T3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow