Beginner Questions

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
TempusFugit2012 Forum Member • Posts: 90
Beginner Questions

I'm a fairly experienced photographer, but I don't have a lot a macrophotography experience. I'm going to dip in a bit, and for me I need to grasp some of the technical aspects a little better. So be kind to the neophyte. Assuming that I will use a Canon 5DmIV  and the Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro. In general am I correct when I say:

1. When something is smaller than the sensor of my camera (e.g. an ant), 1:1 magnification is achieved when I set up the camera and lens at the nearest focusing distance (for the Canon 100mm above that would be 30cm)
  2. In #1 above if I set up greater than 30cm from the subject, I will not achieve 1:1 magnification
  3. Depth of field is far different with macrophotography, especially at 1:1. Achieving nicely blurred backgrounds while keeping the subject in focus normally requires the use of apertures that are far smaller than what I would normally consider with portraits (e.g. even f/16 or f/22 may not give enough DOF to have my subject in focus) 
  4. #3 above is the reason to have some kind of flash gun/ring light available

Like with everything new, I'm sure I will have much trial and error with lots of errors. Either way I'm looking forward to the experimenting.

in advance, thanks!

Marc

TempusFugit2012's gear list:TempusFugit2012's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow