Nikon Z 24-200 as an alternative to a 70-200 f2.8 for weddings?

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
JohnNewman
JohnNewman Contributing Member • Posts: 809
Re: Nikon Z 24-200 as an alternative to a 70-200 f2.8 for weddings?

Hobsong58 wrote:

Could the long awaited Z 24-200 be a good alternative to a 70-200 f2.8 for weddings? I know it’ s f4 but the lighter weight alone would be a huge plus

If you have to ask, then please don't do a wedding except as a guest. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but for most couples the wedding images will memories for a lifetime and there's a reason why a professional wedding photographer charges what they do. It's to pay for not just their time but their expertise and the cost of their equipment.

I once went to a wedding where the happy couple cut down on costs and the "official" photographer had a superzoom type of camera and gave me a lot of stick because I took some amateur shots with a full frame Canon and L lenses. Guess whose images the couple liked best - especially the ones in the dark church?

So, as others have said, a superzoom lens, even on a Z6/7 is not what you'd expect a pro to use but absolutely fine for a guest.

Cheers,

John

JohnNewman's gear list:JohnNewman's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V Canon EOS RP Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 Apple iPhone 6s
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow