Use analog Leica-R lenses on Sony-E mounts (Sony alpha 7 iii)

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Timb00 New Member • Posts: 9
Use analog Leica-R lenses on Sony-E mounts (Sony alpha 7 iii)

Hey everyone,
first off I want to apologize for any typos or grammatic mistakes. English is not my native language but I'm giving it my best shot haha, if anything is unclear please let me know.

So I am 19 years old and studying "movie design" (basically cinematographer and cutter). At the same time I am fascinated by photographie because my grandfather gave me a box full of his old Leica stuff. I've got some great lenses and multiple Leica M and Leica R models. But I don't want to rely on analog cameras since its kind of expensive and I need to figure out photographie before getting good results with analog cameras.

So I want to buy an used Sony Alpha 7 iii since from what I heard DLSM-cameras often are a great compromise for both video and photo.

But I am asking myself whether I can use my grandfathers Leica-R lenses on the Sony-E mount or not. I've seen adapters online but maybe someone can tell me if I'm making any sacrifices. Auto-focus is an obvious one, also the old lenses do not have stabilization. Is there anything else ? How would video/photo look ? Does it work at all or is the money for the adapter just wasted ? Did the Leica-R mount change from the 80s to today or is it basically the same ?
If any of you made similar experiences or can tell me more about it, I'd be super greatful for any input you can give me on that topic.
All the best!
Tim

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony a7 Sony a7 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow