The Oly 14-150 - Treasure or Trash ?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
AdamT
AdamT Forum Pro • Posts: 60,383
The Oly 14-150 - Treasure or Trash ?

The Oly 14-150 has been a lens which I`ve pretty much ignored throughout my M43 life (Since the first EP1 hit Jessops in Chester at launch in 2009) basically because by the time I was interested in superzooms , Pan had launched the superb 14-140 F3.5-5.6 (which we called the "II" back then) , it was better, especially at the edges than the 1st revision of Oly 14-150 I tried (the one which looks a lot tougher made than the latest one) and of course it had OIS which was a lot better than the IBIS in the 12Mp Olys and I was on Panasonics anyway by then ..

Roll on to now and we`ve got Donald-B stating some pretty amazing claims for the 14-150 - a Mk1 too ... saying its as good as the 12-100 Pro for one , I even seem to remember him saying that it was sharper than a copy of the 12-40 F2.8 he used !! - now given that both the 12-40 I had in 2015, and the one I've got now are Crystalline tack sharp edge to edge at F2.8 and sharp enough to induce Moire in a 20Mp cam (EM1-2) or a 16mp with an AA filter (G5) at F4 --- that`s some Feat ....

So - now with a Camera with Fantastic IBIS (the EM1-2) and one with more than usable IBIS (GX8) , I`m intersted in this lens, especially as the Mk1s can be had for around £200-£220 from a shop with a warranty and Mk2s for a bit more

1:- Are the Mk1 and Mk2 the same optically in realty (Don states the Mk1 is better) , the Mk2 has the latest AF motor and is Sealed

2:- has our Don lost the plot due to lockdown fever (Sorry Dpn had to ask) .. Samples please Mr B especially compressed landscapes at 150 wideopen where the Pan 14-140 II did amazingly well (well at 140 anyway )

3:- we all know the comically priced slower 12-200 is soft at 200mm which is a shame, far better off grabbing my RX10-III even with its 1" sensor but a 14-150 interests me greatly if its as good as Don says (and if it is the one i tried must have been a Dud , it`ll kill the panny ) as an easy to use Kickabout zoom (the RX10-III with its amazing lens and suprising sensor is great IQ wise but is a pain on long walks for various reasons related to electric zooms and the tiny FW50 batts

-- hide signature --

** Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist **

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Sony RX10 III Nikon D610 Olympus E-M1 II Nikon D850 Canon EOS M100
Olympus PEN E-P1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow