Vertical docking station for 16 inch Macbook Pro?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Martin Ocando
MOD Martin Ocando Veteran Member • Posts: 6,432
Re: Vertical docking station for 16 inch Macbook Pro?

Eric Nepean wrote:

Christian Schulz wrote:

Ah, it seems I got it completely mixed up in my intitial response.

I am happily using the TS3 as well for my 15" MBP, but note that there are currently serious issues when connecting it to a 16". One is related to an insufficient power supply for the 96W max and there are also reports of crashing MPBs. Failing firmware updates are acknowledged on CalDigits web site. I would research this thoroughly before purchasing.

The data sheet states that the power limit for the TS3+ 87W,and for the OWC is 85W.

I am not surpried that a laptop that draws 96W will cause a crash.

The dock likely has to have some active protection against too high a power consumption (other wise it may cause damage to itself and thereby fail safety tests).

Active protection means it either reduces voltage to zero or reduces voltage until the energy consumed is within limits. The second option has some nasty pitfalls when dealling with loads with switching converters that attempt to use constant energy.

Either way, something is going to crash.

I have a OWC Thunderbolt 3 dock and a 16 inch MBP. I've been using them non stop for two months, even running a Windows VM for gaming, and have experienced not a sigle power related reboot or crash.

-- hide signature --

Martin
"One of the biggest mistakes a photographer can make is to look at the real world and cling to the vain hope that next time his film will somehow bear a closer resemblance to it" - Galen Rowell

Martin Ocando's gear list:Martin Ocando's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow