Wu Jiaqiu wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

Donald B wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

Donald B wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

Donald B wrote:

rashid7 wrote:

"The reviewer unfortunately is clueless about IBIS with Olympus cameras and lenses. He evidently is unaware that with Olympus the OS/IS is additive so if the camera has 6 stops and the lens has 5 stops then the user gets 11 stops of IS. This has not been true with other cameras and lenses from other companies."

u can't be serious! (are u being sarcastic?)

Olympus has 7 stops now so in 4 years they will be selling 11 stops

I am afraid I doesn't work that way

Don

Yes it does, nothing like telling the truth in marketing just like the 15 stop dr sensors when the lens can only let through 11. they just keep moving the goal posts to suit themselves.

Sorry but those much higher DR sensors are pretty real, measured in a standard way. No wonder they are doing 14-bit raw.

14 bit is the number of graduations. not the total brightness captured from pure white to pure black. its a guesstimate at best based on noise performance all companies are just manipulating the raws in camera anyway.

It's not a guesstimate. It's higher precision in sampling data in the sensors that can do it. Even current state of the art APSPC can do it. And yes, you do need more bits to be able to represent the DR.

The DR difference with the bigger sensors is there and can be methodically measured. If you choose to ignore it, that's another matter.

Don

As for the IBIS the issue is the walls you start to hit. But I see your point on marketing in general. I don't dispute that part

Don

the Nikon D7000 from 2010 had 14 bit raw, it's been with APS-C for a decade at least

Jun 30, 2008 - I noticed that the K10D features a 22-bit analogue to digital converter ... I tend to agree that a 22 bit A/D converter is overkill on a 14 bit sensor.

The difference is that the latest sensors from Sony starting with the Pentax K-5 era, really have the low shadow noise to make use of 14-bits.

Don

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow