Smartphone photography has a long way to go for me…

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
2eyesee Senior Member • Posts: 2,266
Smartphone photography has a long way to go for me…

In the last few years I’ve had RX100 (II and III) and RX10 (original and IV) capably serve my photographic needs. In recent months though I’ve been keeping my eye on the increasing capabilities of smartphone camera, for the times that I don’t have one of my RX cameras on me.

Looking at various reviews and keeping my eye out for local deals, a week ago I purchased a Huawei Mate 30 Pro.

I’ve taken a comparison shot with my RX10, and I’ve got to say that smartphone cameras have a long way to go before I would consider them for photography.

Below is 100% crop. I’ve reduced the 20MP 3:2 ratio RX10 image to the same height as the 10MP 4:3 ratio Mate 30 Pro image to make the images the same size (Master AI off on the Mate 30 Pro):

I’ve got to say I find the Mate 30 Pro image dreadful – complete mush in terms of detail, and over-saturated colours – especially the fluorescent greens. If I was to sum it up in one word it would be ‘unnatural’, which is not something I want from my photos. I want to capture scenes as I remember them.

Perhaps I was expecting too much, but for me current smartphone aren’t at the stage yet where I could consider them as a photographic tool.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow