Finding the right lens for the Sony A6100

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Nick231 Forum Member • Posts: 79
Finding the right lens for the Sony A6100

Hi everyone

First of all I want to thank you all again for your generous help and guidance last month in helping me choose my camera. To all those beginners out there, be sure to check out their advice here <https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63815469>. Very professional and informative guidance that really gives thorough insight. Indeed, I followed their advice and went ahead with the Sony A6100 - needless to say  I can't be happier with it. Thank you!

My main obstacle now is finding the right lens. The body came with a Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS lens which, whilst being excellent for medium-to-close range, I need to replace with a lens for long-range and poorly lit shots (keep in mind church ceilings).

I am therefore reaching out to you again for your guidance. Do you know of any lenses which satisfy all of the following criteria:

1) compatible with the Sony a6100

2) 18-200mm or thereabouts (for long-range shots of church ceilings)

3) f/3.5 or lower (for low lit conditions)

4) budget $500

I appreciate that the budget might prima facie seem low considering the low aperture, but I did come across lenses fitting these criteria in the $400 area but which aren't compatible with the Sony a6100. At the moment, I have my eye on the Sony 55-210mm f/4.5-6.3 OSS lens, but I read that it doesn't perform well in low light (which is extremely important for me). As I'm still a novice to all this, perhaps I can once again ask for some feedback.

Kind regards and keep well

Nick

Nick231's gear list:Nick231's gear list
Sony a6100 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow