E-M1 III + 300mm f/4 vs A9II + 200-600mm f/5.6-6.3 - Part 3

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Tony Rogers Senior Member • Posts: 1,748
E-M1 III + 300mm f/4 vs A9II + 200-600mm f/5.6-6.3 - Part 3

This thread is a continuation of my assessment of these two systems for wildlife photography. There are two earlier threads:

The reason I decided to buy the Sony system is covered in part 1 above but the short version is that, with the upcoming launch of the Olympus 150-400 f/4.5 TC lens, which is expected to be very expensive, I questioned whether it was better to put such an big and expensive lens on my E-M1 III when I have some frustrations with auto focus or would it be better to spend that money on a more capable body with a relatively cheap lens.

The lock-down in the UK is now being eased which has allowed me to visit one of our local nature reserves. Unfortunately, the hides/blinds are still closed so it is still mostly not possible to get as close to the birds as I would like but still, it was a joy to be there again.

This is RSPB Ham Wall on the Somerset levels.

There will be a lot of images in this thread trying to compare the two systems. All are processed from raw in Adobe Camera Raw and then noise-reduced with Neat Image and sharpened with Topaz Sharpen AI as per my usual process. Most are cropped which is also common. Both lenses had 1.4x teleconverters fitted all day. Both were using C-AF/AF-C in manual mode with a shutter speed of 1/2000 sec, widest aperture and whatever Iso suited at the time.

I'll present the results in roughly chronological order for no particular reason.

First of all, a quick comment about the weight of both systems. I always carry my camera with a belt clip but yesterday, as I had both systems, I had one on the belt clip and one in my hand. With either camera, the arm holding the camera was aching after about 30 minutes. Both werre fine on the belt clip. So, although the Olympus is only 2/3 the weight of the Sony, it was still awkward to carry. So, if you are concerned about weight, consider a belt clip. Having two cameras about my person was an utter pain in the ar$e and I won't be doing it again!

Tony Rogers's gear list:Tony Rogers's gear list
Sony a9 II Olympus E-M1 III Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro +1 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow