What's your backup strategy when on the road? Cloud backup?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
canonbcguy Contributing Member • Posts: 612
What's your backup strategy when on the road? Cloud backup?

When I travel I make sure to bring 2 backup drives so there's always at least 2 copies of my photos before I erase a memory card.

Ideally, I'd also back up the photos to the cloud.

But sometimes (often...) there isn't enough bandwidth to blindly upload everything.  And so I think I'd have to risk not having cloud backup (i.e. relying only on the drives that I bring) or I'd have to cull and then upload only the better shots.

Culling (for me) takes a lot of time.  So many of my photos are keepers!  (Sarcasm!)

Travel photographers, what's your strategy?

Some anecdotes from my experience:

1) Hong Kong.  The place I stayed (a very basic place) had freaking 200Mbps internet!  I uploaded like a terabyte of RAW+JPGs to the cloud.  In this case, backup was great!

2) Road trip through the Western USA.  Very few places I came across on my travels (being not in a hotel) had fast internet speeds.  Some libraries had good speed, many did not.  Chain fast food restaurants were iffy.  Malls varied greatly in internet quality, mostly not good.  It was disappointing given where I was (Western USA for goodness' sake!)

3) Mexico - not very good.  Slow and unreliable.

4) Cuba - non-existent except in city squares where it was slow.

So in 3 of the 4 places I mentioned, I was 1 tragedy away from possibly losing many of my photos.

canonbcguy's gear list:canonbcguy's gear list
Sony RX100 III Nikon D750 Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 +38 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Lan
AOC
AOC
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow