Lighting question. Capturing sunset and street level detail simultaneously

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jcarstenm New Member • Posts: 6
Lighting question. Capturing sunset and street level detail simultaneously

Hi everyone. I have quite a novice question here. I’m trying to take sunset pictures from my balcony, however I can’t figure out how to capture the details in the clouds AS WELL AS the detail at street level.

See attached an example of what I mean. Attachment 1 is when I point the camera more at street level. Attachment 2 is when I point more into the sky. As you can see, doing one results in a loss of detail in the other. For example, when I point into the sky I capture the detail in the clouds and sunset, however street level goes extremely dark. Attachment 3 is my desired outcome. This was just a crude Photoshop combining the street level in Attachment 1 and sky in Attachment 2.

Attachment 4 is a video of my camera screen as I rotate the camera from street level up to the sky and vice versa. Even if I focus on the sky when the camera is pointing at street level it still doesn’t capture the same cloud detail.

Could someone please help me with the settings I should be manipulating here? Or point me in the direction of further research by identifying the problem? Thank you so much! I’ll post the outcome here should I ever figure it out. 😊

All photos taken on an OM-D E-M10 Mark III. f/8.0, 1/160s, ISO200, 25mm prime lens.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Bob
Bob
Bob
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow