100-400 'halo'

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
tomhongkong Veteran Member • Posts: 3,994
100-400 'halo'

I finally decided that the most useful upgrade from my 75-300 for birds would be the Panny 100-400mm.

I have to say that mechanically it seems to have none of the issues previously reported.  The zoom is smooth but a bit stiff (quite manageable) and it mounts perfectly smoothly on my EM1 mk

I have not had a clear day since I bought it to really try it out.  However I have noticed that using the lens IS seems to introduce 'halos' at high contrast edges, which are not present when I use IBIS.  The samples below illustrate the issue.

Body IBIS

Lens IS

The issue can be seen easily at 100% around the edges of the ADT lettering

Neither of these are critically sharp, they were taken very quickly, handheld at 400mm (exif should be visible)

Is this normal?  I can simply use IBIS to get round it, although it does not seem quite as effective as lens IS

I have not had time or good light to try stopping down to see if it is still there

thanks

tom

Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow