Landscape telephoto lenses

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
cosmicnode Veteran Member • Posts: 5,245
Re: Landscape telephoto lenses

bloodsoul wrote:

Hi,

I want to talk about telephoto lenses as camping season has started. I almost exclusively shoot with Olympus 12-40 2.8 and I had many situations when I couldn't get full potential out of a location because of a short fl.

Personally I almost always use a tripod to shoot landscape, so I don't really mind bad light of the cheap zoom lenses. I know I won't get superb quality from a £100-300 telephoto. My main problem is choosing a focal length. Is 100 or 150 enough for you? Are those lenses soft when fully zoomed therefore would it be correct to consider the longer one?

I'd like NOT to consider Pana 100-300 and 100-400 because of their filter size, I don't want to play with step down rings (12-40 is 62 mm). But I am happy to hear from you who got them and how they perform. The main contenders are:

Pana 35-100 (4-5.6) - the shortest one, does any of you got it and doesn't crave for more millimetres?

Oly 40-150 and Pana 45-150 - super cheap, seems like a no-brainer, does it get soft when fully zoomed?

Pana 45-200 - I read some bad opinions about the quality of the glass, from the other hand people trouble to shoot handheld with such a light and long zoom hence the softness.

Oly 75-300 - soft on 220+, only really viable at f8 to f11 from what I read, but man, so long!

And there is so many versions of above lenses, and people are sometimes saying that 1st is superior over 2nd version and that is very confusing. It's also hard to get landscape samples, because people mostly using it to shoot wildlife.

What's your opinion and experience with telephoto landscape on budget?

ƒ/7.1 | 30 mm | 6 s | 100 ISO

These are shot using the Oly 40-150 f2.8, on a local walk We often use , I wanted tighter shots of Greytowers than I could normally get with a 12-40mm , The second shot is a local landmark Roseberry Topping, about 4 miles away although not clear, you can see the walkers on the top, the walk over the top is part of the Cleveland Way and Coast to Coast walk, from my use of various lenses on this walk I would consider a lens that started at wide angle, although expensive and I don't own one, for a single lens for walking around for landscape think I will be looking at a 12-100mm. shooting a static shot at 150mm focal length even with IBIS is not easy hand held, the viewfinder image is difficult to keep steady, I was able on this day to use a fast shutter speed, but may have gotten a sharper image using a tripod.

Greytowers

Roseberry Topping, focused on the hill itself, it used to be a ironstone mine.

-- hide signature --

Mike.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure."

cosmicnode's gear list:cosmicnode's gear list
Nikon D1 Nikon D1X Nikon D1H Nikon D2H Nikon D2X +16 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow