18-200 LE or 18-135? for my a6500

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
Euell Veteran Member • Posts: 4,523
Re: 18-200 LE or 18-135? for my a6500

paul wassermann wrote:

Euell wrote:

paul wassermann wrote:

Euell wrote:

Seriously, if you are thinking about the 18-200, wouldn't you be better off with a single-lens zoom camera? Why are you even looking at the A6xxx or another interchangeable lens series? If you want convenience buy it. If you are looking for a high zoom range, there are loads of single-lens cameras out there that will do a nice job for that with both wider and longer zooms. And, many of them, such as the RX100 series really take nice pictures. And, so-called superzoom cameras have a range way beyond 18-200. You should be looking there before you buy an expensive lens like one of the Sony 18-200's, which will probably not provide any better photos than some of the fixed-lens alternatives.

Good advice if you never want to try some more exotic lenses like the Sigma 16mm 1.4, Laowa 65mm macro, I went through two versions of the RX10 but ultimately just enjoy the flexible system approach. A used first version is around $400 a true bargain.

I take your point, but where interest is limited, why buy into a system, the capabilities of which will remain mostly unused ? None of the Sony 18-200 lenses are cheap. While I would be the last person to discourage someone's burgeoning interest in photography, I have the impression that the purposes for what many use their photographs are so limited that they may as well use a smart phone or a cheap point-and-shoot and save a lot of money.

I could be one of those...but...I just enjoy using the equipment, fiddling with the images, printing an occasional one, changing my desktop screen every day, and sending images to my kids and friends. My most fun, to date, has been taking some equipment with me along on my golf outings and photographing wildlife along the course and my friends labors on the links.

Here are two images from golfing..one with Canon (quite some time ago), and the other with a sony RX10. I just slide the camera under the "dash" of the golf cart and I'm ready to shoot if something comes along. I didn't notice the mouse until I imported the image into lightroom.

Whatever floats your boat, but you certainly have a lot of gear for someone claiming minimal interest.

Euell's gear list:Euell's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 7D Sony a6500 Sony a7R III Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ml6
ml6
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow