What settings should I have used? Locked

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
This thread is locked.
skyglider Veteran Member • Posts: 5,425
Re: What settings should I have used?

Fishrman wrote:

It was overcast and the sun wasn't at the right angle but I really wanted a picture of this bird. What settings would have allowed me to get a better picture of him? He is actually a Blue Grosbeak and is very Blue.

Zoom in for a much tighter view of the bird. Your Panasonic FZ2500 should have extended optical zoom. I didn't research the exact zoom but probably something like 22.5x at 10MP or 32x at the 5MP extended optical zoom setting. You can set this up as a custom setting to be able to quickly dial in 32x extended optical zoom.  You only need 7.2 MP to make full resolution prints at 300 ppi, so 10MP is plenty.

Use exposure compensation to adjust for best exposure of the bird (Very fast and easy to do on the FZ2500). Use spot metering on the bird (if you have time) but probably not for birds unless setup ahead of time. Take advantage of your FZ2500's electronic viewfinder and extended optical zoom to set the exposure you want of the bird "before" you snap the picture.

Then take a nicely exposed picture of the sky only without the branches.

In post processing, adjust for the optimum colors of the bird. Then if need be, extract the bird and the branches (really easy to do for this picture) and paste it on the nicely exposed sky picture. Done.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Bob
Bob
Bob
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow