Landscape telephoto lenses

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
john isaacs Veteran Member • Posts: 4,498
Re: Landscape telephoto lenses

The Olympus 12-100 f/4 is an excellent single lens solution, although it is decidedly larger and heavier than other possibilities.  If you want the best image quality with wide and telephoto capability, then that is the lens to take.

If you get a lens with minimum focal length around 40+mm, then you are committing to frequent lens changes which is not ideal for outdoor work.

My main choice is the Olympus 14-150.  I do miss the 12mm minimum focal length, and the weather resistant options are very limited.  But I shoot a lot of panoramas, so even at 14mm I can get wider with a couple of shots.

I have travelled with the 12-40, 14-150, and 9-18.  Lots of overlap means I don't have to change lenses as often, and that is my key issue.  I usually take the 45mm f/1.8 and 17mm f/1.8 for low light work in cities (portraits, shows, and museums).  I usually take the 12mm f/2 for astrophotography.

But the 12-100 is such an excellent lens, I'm more inclined to take it, some fast primes, and either stitch if I need wider or bring the Rokinon 7.5mm fisheye.

john isaacs's gear list:john isaacs's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon D750 Olympus E-M5 II Nikon D500 Olympus E-M1 II +17 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow