What do you often do, that a Smartphone can't?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Vunite Regular Member • Posts: 100
What do you often do, that a Smartphone can't?

I understand this is a very provocative title, but I'm not trying to say it can replace DSLx camera due to obvious reasons in general. But with the advent of phones like a Huawei P40, I'm quite amazed by what they can do. With all the processing happening in their apps, they're able to do amazing low light shots, they can simulate bokeh fairly well in many cases, where you don't really need a real one, the sharpness is fairly stunning given their tiny sensors, you can do longer expositions for those silky waterfalls, some even seem to do astrofoto with it etc.

And that made me wonder: how many can honestly say, they own a DSLR etc, but are actually just taking the occasional landscape shot etc that a modern smartphone could do as well? Or: how many do really make use of the extensive features their DSLx offers, like lens changes, filters, using a lot of fast eye autofocus, speedy FPS etc that dedicated cams still got the advantage of.

Maybe a bit provocatively asked: If say you are a landscape photographer, what makes you carry all the heavy gear, while some people just do amazing landscape shots with something like a P40?

As a beginner, I'd kinda love to hear the inputs here, that show, where features a phone can't offer are very much in use in landscape fotography. It's my favorite field (dramatic weather etc) and I'm considering what cam to buy for it.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
AOC
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow