Optical limits test viltrox 23mm 1.4

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
thxbb12 Senior Member • Posts: 2,031
Re: Some photos from viltrox 23mm 1.4

johncecilian wrote:

So i got the lens. It is raining but i will share some initial photos so people see something rather than merely what I say. I truly wonder what people expect or think that they will find with a good lens today. This lens is well built, its AF is very fast, and I mean very fast. and it seems to me that the IQ is just fine...sharp where I wanted it sharp and out of focus where I wanted it out of focus....this is preliminary but it seems that people read a couple of things on the internet, dont actually shoot with a lens and then make uninformed pronouncements as if they know what they are talking about.

If any noobs read this, you should make your own decisions about gear. Dont assume because a DP poster has a gazillion posts that they have any clue what they are talking about, unless they can back it up with the goods....actual photos that show a lens deficiency. Use your own judgment. just saying....

I took a few inside photos, because it is raining out today, but it seems so far so good, at least for me.

Also other than a little cropping, no sharpening or clarity or stuff like that.

all at the same focus plane

focus Hello Kitty eye

focus on mickey in the corner

focus on mickey eye

Thanks, John, these are good samples.

From what I can see, focus seems to be spot on and sharpness wide-open is very good.

I think I'll buy this lens once it's available in my country (Switzerland). I went through two copies of the Fuji 23 f1.4. Never been happy with it because focus accuracy at anything but close range was poor (on both copies), hence most wide-open shots were never really sharp.

Since, I bought the Fuji 23mm f2, but I really want f1.4 for more DOF control (and better bokeh: the 23 f2 bokeh can be bad at times).

This Viltrox seems really good for the price and corner sharpness seems more than adequate for my needs

Cheers,

-- hide signature --
 thxbb12's gear list:thxbb12's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Fujifilm X-T20 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow