Should I return my 20mm f/1.8 lens?

Started 2 months ago | Polls thread
aSevenArr
aSevenArr Senior Member • Posts: 2,238
Re: Should I return my 20mm f/1.8 lens?

Nikon33 wrote:

colcha wrote:

aSevenArr wrote:

Probably happens a lot without us knowing it.

Lenses are usually pretty well protected with bubble wrap and more by the manufacturer.... but...

Test the lens before returning!

The next one might be thrown onto a truck and kicked around out of your sight. Food for thought!

You make some very valid points! That is part of the reason why I am debating whether I should even bother returning it.

I think as long as it is sharp, 4 feet should not be a problem. I am sure Sony keeps such incidents in mind when creating boxes and packaging! As other people have mentioned, the next one could be handled even worse! Maybe the next one will end up being dropped 20 feet off the conveyor belt...

My father-in-law (retired now) was a "packaging engineer" and this is all part of the math.

Pretty much everything that you buy is packaged in ways to try to ensure that it arrives safely and undamaged in between the factory and the customer.

(Yes university qualified engineers can have entire careers designing packaging... I was surprised to learn that myself)

Sony must take the possibility of rough handling into consideration whenever they ship a lens or camera.

aSevenArr's gear list:aSevenArr's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Sony a7R Sony a9 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow