ultra-wide angle lens for Micro 4/3 - alternatives to Laowa 7.5mm f/2? adapting Canon lenses?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Blue Egypt New Member • Posts: 20
ultra-wide angle lens for Micro 4/3 - alternatives to Laowa 7.5mm f/2? adapting Canon lenses?

Hi there,

I'm currently in the market for an ultra-wide (rectilinear) lens to be used on MFT (mostly for video work), and was wondering whether there are even any alternatives to the much-hyped Laowa 7.5mm f/2, which isn't exactly cheap.

Now, I don't want the cheapest option. I'm willing to pay money for a good lens (which the Laowa seems to be). I was just wondering whether I could get anything that would have some added benefits, and whether I could be looking outside of the native MFT lens offerings. So, since I'm also a Canon shooter (full frame, older 5D model), I was considering going for a wide lense for Canon's EF mount that would double both as *very* wide lense (would have to be around 10mm) on my Canon camera for stills photography, and give me kind of the same focal length for video on my MFT camera (GH4) when adapted via my Viltrox speed boster (focal length x 0.72) that the Laowa does. So, that would be an added perk that I would be willing to pay money for. Plus, if the Canon EF lens was an auto focus one, that would be good in some situations as well, albeit it's probably not going to work *great* when adapted to the MFT cam...

So, here are some potential options, based on my research so far:

There's the Samyang XP 10mm f3.5, from their line of premium manual lenses, but it's considerably more expensive than the Laowa. So, I think it's out.

https://www.samyanglensglobal.com/en/product/product-view.php?seq=406

Same thing for the Laowa 12mm f2.8 Zero-D (for Canon EF). Probably a pretty damn good lens, but too expensive.

Then there is the Irix 11mm f/4 (Firefly and Blackstone version). The general consensus seems to be that this is a good lens for the money (compared e.g. to the price of a Canon EF 11-24 mm F4L). Unfortunately, hard to find any reviews that would compare this full-frame lens to the Laowa MFT lens.

Meike has announced a 8mm version of their Cine lens product line for MFT:

https://meikeglobal.com/collections/meike-cine-lens

This might be of interest to me. Obviously this time no added benefit of using it on Canon, but it would be a Cine lens, probably for a pretty reasonable price, and I might be interested in further Cine lenses from that same product line. I might built a whole kit around this product line and use it with follow focus etc.

Any opinions on this or additional options I should consider? Thanks in advance!

Blue Egypt's gear list:Blue Egypt's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm X30 Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II +15 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow