Deciding between Sony and Olympus systems for landscape/backpacking

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
tcdc12321 Regular Member • Posts: 151
Deciding between Sony and Olympus systems for landscape/backpacking

Hello,

I am looking for your advice and experience when it comes to choosing a system for me to use when doing landscape photography, including quite a bit of backpacking or challenging day hikes. My goal is to find the right balance between image quality and weight/limiting lens swapping. I am hoping to have a "do it all" lens that I can keep attached to my camera on a Peak Design clip that will cover roughly 80% of the images that I want to take - the reason for this is that I like having a camera at the ready during hikes, but am often in places where lens swapping is difficult or at least inconvenient. Additionally, I would love a wide angle lens that I can use for astro, although astro is a lower priority for me. I would also love the ability to create good looking sunstars.

I've narrowed my choices down to the following two setups:

• Sony A7R II
  • Sony 24-105 f/4 (the "do it all" lens)
  • Voigtlander 15 4.5 III or Zeiss Loxica 21 f/2.8 (the wide angle/astro/sunstar lens)

OR

• Olympus E-M1 II
  • Olympus 12-100 f/4 (the "do it all" lens)
  • Voigtlander 17.5 f/0.95 (for occasional bokeh and sunstars)
  • Laowa 7.5 f/2 (for wide angle and astro)

These are two different systems, but there is something very appealing about each. The Sony has very impressive image quality, plus overall has a better (but more expensive) set of possible lenses. The Sony (or any full frame) system is better for wide angle and astro, but the Olympus (or any M43 system) has better/cheaper telephoto options. The Olympus is appealing because the weather resistance and stabilization are the best in the industry, and the 12-100 gives a lot more reach than the Sony 24-105.

I'm torn between these two setups. Any advice, or feedback from having used one system or the other?

Olympus E-M1 Sony a7R II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow