Which loadout for lond distance hiking?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Bnet Mik New Member • Posts: 12
Which loadout for lond distance hiking?

I do a lot of hiking with me GF, and this summer we're heading to some remote places in the very north of Sweden, and Iceland (if corona allows).

I've brought my Nikon Z7 on 4-5 hikes so far and am super happy with it. I'm not an ultralight hiker, so I do bring my tripod (1.3kg), some filters etc. But I've always only brought my 24-70mm f/4.

I've invested in some lenses now though, which makes it harder for me to choose what to bring on a hike, and what to use as the default lens while hiking.

So my two theory crafted setups are:

A:

- 14-30mm f/4.

- 50mm f/1.8

B:

- 14mm Samyang f/2.8 MF prime

- 24-70mm f/2.8

In loadout A, I would have the 14-30 on the camera during walking. 14-30 is obviously a nice range for landscapes. When coming to camp, I would switch to the 50mm f/1.8, since I really enjoy 50mm for social pictures and low light performance. I LOVE this prime.

In loadout B, I would have the 24-70mm on by default while hiking and during camp. I would have the flexibility of 24mm wide angle landscapes, but also 50mm landscapes which I also like, and 70mm on-the-trail portraits. I do like the flexibility of the 24-70mm since I usually combine landscape with travel/memory photography while hiking. When coming up to a spectacular scene I want the 14mm for, I would change in the field (probably using a dry bag for cover). This is cumbersome and increases the risk of not taking the shot instead, especially since I have at least 1 travel companion with me.

What are your thoughts?

Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
NCB
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow