IBIS test on Sony A6500 and Tamron 70-180/2.8

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
voronspb
OP voronspb Senior Member • Posts: 1,893
Re: Video with IBIS operation on Sony A6500 and Tamron 70-180

paul wassermann wrote:

Thank you! I found the comparisons very interesting. In each case, to my old untrained eyes, in each case the manual setting seemed significantly better than relying on auto? Is that something I should take away from this presentation?

You're right. The first one, who mentioned this phenomenon, was Mr. Abbott , on A9 and A7RIII:

What is odd is that I didn’t much better results at 70mm than what I did at 180mm, though I did find that I got a little better results when I manually selected the correct focal length in SteadyShot.

Then, the Tamron itself acknowledged this issue , but they were talking about A7II only:

A malfunction of Inner body image stabilizer occurs when used at about 70-85mm focal length and at more than 5.5m of object distance.
Applicable camera models: α7 II
Please turn the inner body image stabilizer function “OFF” when you use this lens at less than an 85mm focal length.

And now, it's clearly visible on my A6500.

Most probably, it's caused by some miscommunication between lens and camera, as the lens passes the focal length to camera correctly (as seen in EXIF), but for some reason it's incorrectly translated to IBIS setting.

-- hide signature --

Vladimir Gorbunov
«Often the difference between a good and a bad sample of the same lens is bigger than that between two different lenses» — Bastian K.

voronspb's gear list:voronspb's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Tamron 17-28mm F2.8 Di III RXD Tamron 70-180mm F2.8 Di III VXD +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow