Very expensive cleaning...

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sidecarural
sidecarural Forum Member • Posts: 87
Very expensive cleaning...

My Sony RX-10M3 has accompanied me on trips around the world for the past 3 years. Recently, in Namibia, I did some excursions in the desert, with wind and a very sandy environment. On the way back, I noticed that operating the focusing ring on the lens resulted in some very noticeable "scratching": evidently, some grains of sand had entered and "crawled" into some mechanism of the focusing ring…. I decided to ignore it, as in 99% of cases, I use autofocus ...

A few days ago, however, I noticed that the focal length adjustment ring was also starting to have the same problem, albeit in a less evident way: a slight, but noticeable 'scratching' while rotating the ring.

Now, I like DIY and I searched the web for a tutorial to access the lens ring command system. I am almost certain that the way to access the two rings (zoom and focus) should be to remove a few screws under the band around the front lens of the zoom ... but unfortunately I have not traced any clear information or video.

I therefore decided to contact Sony service to solve the problem once and for all.

Today I received a quote for cleaning the mechanisms of the two rings: € 491 (or around $ 530). That’s the cost of a decent compact camera. The beautiful Fuji X-t30 body (which I am considering as an alternative, light camera) is only slightly more costly!

I firmly believe that this assistance pricing policy is outrageous. For those who know how to do it, removing the two rings, cleaning them, re-lubricate where necessary, and reassemble everything should be a matter of an hour or so of work. I am really frustrated, but obviously I have no choice and will pay to have my RX-10 back repaired (more precisely, cleaned!).

And the next time I will be in a sandy environment, I will probably use one of those anti-rain bags, which should work also against sand.

Ciao

Luciano

Him tribe, Epupa Falls region, Northern Namibia, August 2019

sidecarural's gear list:sidecarural's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Sony RX10 III
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow