Looking for advice on buying a semi-professional camera

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
hotdog321
hotdog321 Forum Pro • Posts: 20,729
Re: Looking for advice on buying a semi-professional camera

Fanfiction wrote:

I'm a recent college grad going into journalism. I have some photography experience from previous jobs, but always either used my cheap camera or borrowed a nice one from the university. I don't know much about camera equipment. I've saved up around $1000 to buy myself a decent camera and thought that consulting you guys would be a good idea. What should I be looking for? How do I know what features are important? How much should I be spending on the camera itself vs. a decent lens?

Articles that I've found have said that a professional camera runs around 2k-3k, so I'm not looking for something at that level. That said, I would like to find something that is durable and offers me enough options to mess around a bit and take pictures in a variety of environments (high and low light, close up and far away, objects in motion.)

Any tips or suggestions?

I assume you are planning on being a reporter or blogger, not a photojournalist. Nothing is going to serve every purpose, but I suggest a good mid-range used camera body with a kit lens. Something like a used Canon 6D, 5D II (a 5D III would be super, but you might not find it at your price point) with a 24-105 lens or similar Nikon setup will cover many routine situations. A basic flash would be useful, too.

With time an experience you will discover the possibilities and limitations of your camera/lens and see if you need to upgrade.

-- hide signature --
 hotdog321's gear list:hotdog321's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Bob
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow