Gitzo 3 series vs 5 series systematics.

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
OP PGSanta Regular Member • Posts: 441
Re: Gitzo 3 series vs 5 series systematics.

calson wrote:

I have had two 3 series Gitzo legs that were fine and I used them for years. But a couple of years ago I bought a Gitzo GT3542L legs for over $900 and found that the new design used a cast part for locking the legs and it had broken off inside the Gitzo box. It was obviously a bad design and so I returned it to B&H. Fortunately it had not broken off while I was traveling with a big lens or it would have been a trip killer.

I replaced it first the RRS TVC-34L and later upgraded from the RRS to a Feisol CT-3472 that is better than anything from Gitzo or RRS in terms of overall functionality and it provides equivalent build quality to RRS and superior build quality to the Gitzo 3 series legs.

I've never seen anything from Feisol that is equivalent to RRS or Gitzo in terms of craftsmanship.  I'd never put Feisol in the same category as Gitzo or RRS, and that's without touching on their choice of ridiculously narrow leg angles to boost their paper specs at the cost of actual stability.

PGSanta's gear list:PGSanta's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon RF 50mm F1.2L USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 15-35mm F2.8L IS USM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow