wildlife upgrade - alternatives to Panasonic 100-400

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
pannumon Senior Member • Posts: 2,784
Re: wildlife upgrade - alternatives to Panasonic 100-400

MattieUK wrote:

Hi all

I've recently upgraded my battered EM5 Mk1 for a GH5, which I went for mostly to unlock video functionality - as discussed in other threads on digital video forum - but also as mild update for stills photography.

I have the Mk1 version of the Panasonic 100-300 and it is very good for relatively static shots but suffers considerably when there is any movement - continuous AF is pretty much unusable. I'm looking at the Panasonic Leica 100-400 which is stretching the budget a bit but I'm not sure of my other options - the Mk2 100-300 doesn't seem a compelling change, and the pro Olympus lenses are quite a bit out of budget unless I look for 2nd hand or limit reach to the 40-150.

Wait. Should not the 100-300 mk II be focusing MUCH faster than the MK I, and also allowing much faster burst rates, providing weather resistance and dual image stabilization? Would it be expensive to swap the 100-300mm mk I to (used) mk II (no need to answer)?

pannumon's gear list:pannumon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow