IBIS test on Sony A6500 and Tamron 70-180/2.8

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
voronspb
OP voronspb Senior Member • Posts: 1,898
Re: IBIS test on Sony A6500 and Tamron 70-180/2.8

Euell wrote:

Thanks for posting. IBIS, I have read, loses efficiency as focal lenth increases, which is why Sony includes OSS in its longer FE lenses. So, if your finding estimates 1 EV at 180mm, I wonder whether the A6500 IBIS would yield better results at, say 100mm or 135mm focal length.

In theory - yes. In practice - I see how the magnified EVF image behaves, and I believe that there's something wrong with the lens communication with A6500 camera. At 70 mm in AUTO IBIS mode the amount of erratic movement is noticeably bigger than in Manual mode.

I'll make a video illustrating that.

One question: is there a difference between APSC and FF when it comes to the amount of compensation required of IBIS for a lens of the same focal length. In other words, does the A6500/6600 IBIS have to work harder to compensate for a 180mm lens than an A7xx?

I don't think so. 24 MP APS-ะก sensor is basically a central part of 54 MP FF sensor. IBIS either keeps the image steady (thus making sharp picture), or it fails, and image twitches, and there's blur.

The only difference is that on tightly packed sensor there's less tolerance to blur amount.

-- hide signature --

Vladimir Gorbunov

voronspb's gear list:voronspb's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Tamron 17-28mm F2.8 Di III RXD Tamron 70-180mm F2.8 Di III VXD +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow