Mike Boreham Senior Member • Posts: 1,569
Re: macbook pro 16inches. Fan issue with Lightroom Classic

Martin Ocando wrote:

Mike Boreham wrote:

Martin Ocando wrote:

Mike Boreham wrote:

Matt86 wrote:

Hi all,

My mac is connected to a Benq SW270c 2k external monitor through USB-C port.

Matt

How is it when doing the same tasks NOT connected to the external monitor.

These two long threads are about 16" MBP having hot and noisy problems when connected to an external monitor. Seems to be because having the external forces use of the dGPU which bumps up the power used hence heat. I am not following closely so don't know where it has got to.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/16-is-hot-noisy-with-an-external-monitor.2211747/page-66

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250878229?page=164

I live in a very hot place, and I'm not having these high fan noise issues at all. I'm connected to an external monitor, and I'm using the gfxCardStatus app to monitor the active graphics card, and is right now in "d" or discrete, meaning GPU, mode, so I should be having the issues noted in those threads, but I'm not.

Does that include use of Lightroom Classic that seems to be the trigger for the OP?

Yes, of course. That is the test I ran yesterday. I ran classic and went over my April 2019 Europe trip photos, zooming them to 100%, getting in and out of Develop module, doing small tweaks, and all that time the CPU never went above 27%, since I had the Activity Monitor running.

Like most of problems which spawn these long threads there are plenty without the problem, like you, presumably due to many variables at play.

Since there seem to be many people who do have hot and noisy with external display, I would be interested to know if the OP gets the same problem doing the same tasks without the external monitor.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow