Why I am leaving m43 and coming back to EOS M

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jhunna Senior Member • Posts: 1,398
Why I am leaving m43 and coming back to EOS M

I am all about options and conviencence. And I bought the original EOS M with a 22mm and 55-200mm 5 years or so ago. I liked the set up a lot because with the 22 it was small really small and I loved the pictures I got out of the 16MP camera. Also it could shoot 1080p video and was hackable with some software that gave the eos m way more video capability than it should have had with that price. Alas I left EOS M and moved to m43 to get a tiltable screen, 4k, in camera charging, and more lens options.

Fast forward to today, and m43 is falling behind in everything except IBIS, 4k and size. The 20mp sensor is old, no small RF style bodies with usb-c or mic jacks. Odd style and handling, and not knowing if it wants to be a pro or enthusiast set up. That said, m43 does almost nothing poorly, which is why I have stuck with it so long. I could always get out of it what I wanted. But the M6.2 has shown me what I have been missing.

First off the 22mm, its the right focal length for me, its fast enough, generates enough bokeh, and is small enough. The 14mm/2.5 and the X100V were the only lenses that were comparable, and the 22mm is better.

Second, the new sensor. Its a beauty. Lets me crop and stays sharp, and I can edit the files on my ipad pro.

Third, ports. USB-C, in camera charging, and Mic port, allow me to carry fewer items and enjoy better audio.

Fourth, EIS has always been good eough with Canon. So much so that I don't think I will miss IBIS.

Fifth no crop 4k!

Sixth - Lenses.... Ok, this one may seem odd but the truth of the matter is that I need one zoom lens for video and everything else can be a prime. 22/2 will see most of the action, but there is a 12 and a 56 that is available in the ef-m mount that will suit me just fine. I don't really shoot at any other focal lengths. And having too many lenses can be as bad as not having enough. I have 5 lenses that cover 14-25mm in m43, and not one of them is perfect. The 22 is perfect for me.

Once I get the camera in hand I will post more, but I am looking forward to the new gear and the new experiences.

jhunna's gear list:jhunna's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Olympus Body Cap Lens 15mm F8.0 +7 more
Canon EOS M6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
MOD RLBur
MOD RLBur
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow