Capture One Preview image size

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
Pixel8888 Regular Member • Posts: 327
Re: Capture One Preview image size

Thomas Guenther wrote:

Pixel8888 wrote:

There is quite a preview size difference. I would recommend to make some tests for a few images with different preview sizes in a session. The previews are in a sub directory of the session. This way you can easily make a calculation by multiplying the preview size times the number of your images to get an idea.

Despite having a high rez monitor , I choose the standard size. The size difference would be too large for tens of thousands of images. I rather wait a moment when I reopen a session or catalog.

Resolution size of Previews does not necessarily increase their sizes.

I did some test before I decided on the preview size. For my Fuji XT2 files, the difference between a preview size of 5120px and 1024px is about 9mb vs 0.48mb per image. It is easy to verify in a session. The files are in a sub directory of the capture directory.

I usually work on my files in a session on my hard drive with limited space, before exporting into a catalog.

There is an excellent video: 'Capture One 7 ways to improve speed and performance' from scott dettweiler. He mentions that the preview size of an image stays the same, even for an cropped image.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOKrv_cZy0E

BTW One killer tip from this video is, to keep the exposure evaluation window closed, when you don't use it. It drastically improves the performance. I was not aware of that.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow