Size and Weight of the EOS R and RF lenses

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Steve W Veteran Member • Posts: 5,043
Size and Weight of the EOS R and RF lenses

How is everyone reacting to the fat that in many cases the larger RF lenses, paired with the the EOS R, are heavier than the EF version paired with the Canon 5D Mark IV? Someone mentioned this and looking at the EF 85mm f/1.2L II and EF 50mm f/1.2L and 5D Mark IV the combo is lighter than the EOS R with the RF 85mm f/1.2L and RF 50mm f/1.2L? The EOS R body is only 660 gm compared to the 800 gm of the 5D Mark IV.

It appears that at the best case an EOS R with the RF equivalent lens is maybe 50g lighter than the 5D Mark IV and the EF equivalent. The RF lenses all look to be heaver by ~90 to 110 gm or even more than the EF equivalent in the best case and much heavier for the primes. Only the very compact RF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS more than 300 gm less.

Personally I love the EVF compared to the optical view finder and the other addition when compared to my DSLR but I've been shooting mirrorless along side my Canon DSLR since 2012 so If Canon didn't go mirrorless they would be gone from my kit completely but know I realized that Canon really offers no size/weight advantage over their DSLR when you combine it with a lens. At least that is my take away.

In Sony's case their GM zooms and primes are also big and don't save much weight they at least have made each one lighter than Canon has made their version it seems. Sure in some cases you get f/1.2 instead of f/1.4 but do you really need that weight and additional cost? So with Canon you better love the mirrorless features because you are not realizing any smaller size/weight advantage when using RF glass it seems.

It appears Canon makes a good case for users wanting a lighter system to go with APS-C. Unfortunately they have not made theirs as compelling as Fuji has made theirs. It appears Fujifilm's APS-C line of lenses is a true notch above Canon M series.

Just a personal take away from someone currently shooting Canon FF mirrorless along side my Sony FF systems and Fuji's APS-C bodies and lenses.

-- hide signature --

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe! - Words to live by. Albert Einstein

Steve W's gear list:Steve W's gear list
Sony a9 Fujifilm X-E3 Sony a7R III Canon EOS R Sony a7R IV +41 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow