A photo will never be as revered as art

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Doug Larvey Regular Member • Posts: 425
A photo will never be as revered as art

Hi folks. I like photography. That's why I'm here. I also like painting with acrylics on canvass. My "work" is ok for both. Technical and artistic and all that. But I'm the first to admit my photos and artwork on canvass are obviously nothing special. Its the modern world we are in. For example, I see fantastic image samples here on dpr and that's just all it is. It's just one of thousands of excellent photos on here by thr one of thousand photographers. Great capture but nothing extraordinary or unique. My point is here. So I display my photos and paintings in my garage. On one side are the photos , the other side has the paintings. Again, just pictures and paintings that are nothing special or unique. 90 % of digital photographers are awesome now. No one really stands out. But what I notice is this... people who view my photos and paintings are ALWAYs more impressed or view my paintings with more of a "you have talent" as a painter. Although again, these paintings suck. Its more just fooling around where as I feel the photos are better because there is some level of technique to it.

PEOPLE DONT LOOK AT YOUR AWESOME PHOTO AND SAY WOW YOU ARE A TALENTED PHOTOGRAPHER.

BUT

PEOPLE LOOK AT PAINTINGS AND MISBELIEVE THAT I HAVE A BIT OF TALENT.

This is humourous. Because with photography I try to be good and with painting its a joke doodle hobby.

End result is this. My theory is that people believe an awesone image comes from an awesome camera. Not an awesome photohrapher. Whereas with painting you hsve a blank canvass , brush , paint and your hands.

Just to reitetate my artwork is nothing special. I have a real paying job and would starve under a bridge if i relied on my "talent " for survival.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Bob
Bob
Bob
Bob
Bob
Bob
Bob
Bob
Bob
Bob
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow