macbook pro 16inches. Fan issue with Lightroom Classic

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Martin Ocando
MOD Martin Ocando Veteran Member • Posts: 6,432
Re: macbook pro 16inches. Fan issue with Lightroom Classic

Chester McCheeserton wrote:

I"m having the same issue and it's very disconcerting. 30,000 42 megapixel raws on external 7200 spinning drive, one week old 16 inch mbp with 32 gig ram, 2 tb ssd, catalog is on internal drive...even paid extra for the good graphics processor...

I don't have any local adjustments in LR on my raws - just markups and overall moves, but any sort of going through the catalog, zooming in to 100%, doing the regular stuff I do to edit, is causing the fans to go and the area on computer above keyboard to get super hot...just increased camera raw cache to 200 and tried disabling the graphics card, and like the OP, no difference....super bummed about this, am not even running an external monitor or other peripherals yet.

I also have 37,000 RAWs on external drives (SSD mostly, although some 5400 mechanical drives), and I just did what you mentioned with Activity Monitor open. I went through my old 2019 Europe trip photos, browsing, zooming 100%, entering Develop mode, etc. I just did it for 10 minutes straight and the highest the CPU went was 27%.

I can bet that your issue has to be that you are creating previews on-the-fly. I usually create previews upon injection into Lightroom, and I'm done with it. Never had any issue, really. I also update the previews after develop, and let them sit there. I don't delete them, unless I want to recover disk space. Proper previews are key to keep lightroom running smoothly.

-- hide signature --

Martin
"One of the biggest mistakes a photographer can make is to look at the real world and cling to the vain hope that next time his film will somehow bear a closer resemblance to it" - Galen Rowell

Martin Ocando's gear list:Martin Ocando's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow