D800 fine focus adjust πŸ€”

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Giovanni_1968
OP Giovanni_1968 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,076
Re: D800 fine focus adjust πŸ€”

johnchap2 wrote:

Need a bit more info:

Presumably you were shooting hand held? At the focusing distances used, even slight head movement that you were not aware of could impact the results. Use a tripod please.

Hand held but on a solid surface

Presumably you were focusing on the "30", but you did not say. You need to state what you were focusing on.

Yep, 30 is the target

And you did not say which image was the one shot without fine focusing adjustments.

In order +20 +10 0 -10 -20

I also assume that you were using single point focusing and the selected point was the center. But again, you need to state this so that this reviewer (and others) knows this for sure.

Center point single focus

Presumably you were shooting wide open with whatever lens you were using.

Yes, data is in the exif

What lens were you using? Something like a f1.4 prime lens shot at 1.4 would be recommended for such a test.

Again, in the exif, 85mm at f1.8

If I were you, I would do the same test with another fast prime to see if that lens produces the same or very similar results for the same fine tuning settings.

I will do tomorrow with the f1.4/85 on a tripod by repeating the stack from +20 to -20

-- hide signature --

Giovanni - 70% GAS affected
http://www.flickr.com/photos/giovanniaprea/
Nikon D800 R.I.P. - Nikon D2Xs - Fuji X-Pro1 - Fuji S5Pro - Nikon F - Nikon F3
J.A. Michell Gyrodec - Audio Research SP-9 - Aeron AP-890 - JBL4311B - JBL L220
JN70CN - 14.14.30E 40.32.40N

Giovanni_1968's gear list:Giovanni_1968's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Nikon D2Xs Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +19 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow