Lens combo for an ageing EOS 10D?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP eya1 Regular Member • Posts: 277
Re: Lens combo for an ageing EOS 10D?

mjpck wrote:

eya1 wrote:

Hi all,

A friend is giving me an EOS 10D + grip. I've heard the camera had good colour and black n white renderings so for the heck of it, I will buy a couple of lenses and see what it can do. Currently considering:

50/1.8 II

EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5

Would this be a decent combo? I understand EF-S lenses would work on this camera but could I use a Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 on that mount?

Of course, this means I could end up dumping mirrorless and getting back into Canon!

Let's see

You can not use EF-S lenses on your 10D. This body was manufactured prior to the introduction of EF-S lenses.

As far as the Tokina goes, you will be able to use the 11-16mm ATX-i version, but not the AT-X f2.8 version. Also, have you looked at the Sigma 10-20 f3.5? It's about a $100 cheaper than the Tokina but note that you would be giving up some extra light.

Thanks for the suggestions. This is what I found on B&H:

Tokina 17-35mm f/4 Pro FX - $449
Tokina atx-i 11-16mm f/2.8 CF - $449
Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM - $329

While slower, I think the Sig may be the better choice as the 17-35 doesn't go wide enough (needs to be at least 15mm to be a 24mm equivalent focal length). Which the 11-16 covers by 1 mm; and I'd prefer it to have a longer focal length.

Thanks for the suggestion. I think it may be the best option as it is such an old camera. I'll see if I can pick one up here in South Africa for a good price. Here it sells for the equivalent of $482.30. I'll match it with a 50/1.8 and have some fun!

eya1's gear list:eya1's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow