Hiking camera gear choices.

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
tcdc12321 Regular Member • Posts: 151
Re: Good solution

ahaslett wrote:

Broadly in agreement with your post but wouldn't you think that some people might consider an MFT f/4 lens that is sharp wide open and has MFD of 6" at the wide end to be a classic hiking lens?

It all depends what you shoot. Different people might choose the 12-45/4, 12-40/2.8 or 12-100/4 or even own all three.

Looking at the specs, I can see why Nigel is attracted to the Nikon superzoom, which sadly has an MFD of 20". Maybe 24mm isn't wide enough for MFD to be that critical, but I rather like short MFD for a walkabout lens.

Hiking suggests landscape and stabilisation trumps faster lenses for that (per equivalence).

Andrew

Yes, I agree. Very good points about MFD. The only thing I don't 100% agree with you on is that stabilization trumps faster lenses...I'm 95% in agreement, except that at for telephoto (ex. at a 200 equivalent), you often don't even need f/8 equivalent to get everything in focus, i.e., the Nikon's f/6.3 is 2/3 of a stop faster, and will often be enough DOF to get everything in focus when you're taking pictures of, say, distant mountain ranges, or perhaps doing environmental portraits (ex. isolating a flower in a field). Now, the Nikon 24-200 isn't that much faster, so it's not a big advantage, and most likely the better stabilization of the 12-100 much more than makes up for it. Just food for thought.

A better example might be something like the Sony 24-105 f/4 or Canon 24-105 f/4 compared with the 12-100 at 52.5, where for distant shots, the f/4 equivalent might be enough DOF to get everything in focus, while the 12-100 is stuck at an f/8 equivalent. But again, I'm just trying to illustrate one type of scenario, and I am in agreement that in most cases, the better stabilization is more important.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow